You’re probably aware of the many discounts available to members of AARP. But several other savings opportunities through national chains and retailers are exclusive to older consumers. Many of these 2023 senior discounts are even available to those as young as 55 years old.
Before you shop, it pays to do a little research on the Internet or call ahead to see what discount programs are offered. Some restrictions will apply, and age eligibility varies. See the links below for more details.
Don’t feel the least bit guilty about pursuing senior discounts. Vendors and national chains tend to offer them as part of public relations and to boost shopper loyalty. Just be prepared to show proof of age at the cash register.
AARP Senior Discounts
For those of you who somehow aren’t aware, AARP is the nation’s largest nonprofit, nonpartisan organization whose mission is all about empowering and advocating for Americans age 50 and older. You may know about it, but are you a member? As a member, you get access to hundreds of exclusive senior discounts. To see them all, visit their website.
Between supply chain issues and climate change, food prices have skyrocketed. Fortunately, major supermarket chains offer senior discounts on certain days of the week or have loyalty programs you can join. These stores include:
- Fred Meyer. Shoppers 55+ can get an additional 10% off select items the first Tuesday of every month.
- Fry’s Food Stores. On the first Wednesday of every month, shoppers 55+ can get an additional 10% off most store items.
- Safeway, Albertsons & ACME Markets. They all feature the same For U loyalty program where you can earn points and redeem rewards earning discounts on groceries and gas. There are even personalized deals to score savings on your favorite items.
These popular retailers offer savings in-store or online for their older shoppers. Others require that you join their rewards programs.
- Big Lots. Sign up for their free Big Rewards card, and you’ll get a 15% off signing bonus, earn cash-back rewards, frequent 20% off coupons, a birthday bonus, and more!
- Kohl’s. Age-specific coupons provide a 15% discount every Wednesday to shoppers 60+.
- Michael’s. When you join their Michael’s Reward program, shoppers 55 and older get a 10% discount in-store and online.
- Ross Dress for Less. Their 55+ Tuesday Discount program entitles you to a 10% discount on in-store purchases every Tuesday.
- Rite Aid Rewards 65+. When you join their in-store program, every 1st Wednesday of the month, you’ll be eligible for 5X points on in-store purchases, special monthly activities and featured health topics, and featured products and information just for seniors. You must be 65 years of age, enroll in Rite Aid Rewards 65+ and be a Rite Aid Rewards Member.
- Walgreens. Offer special discounts in-store for shoppers 55+ and AARP members on the first Tuesday of each month. The link above will also take you to special online offers, but, you must join and be logged into your Walgreens.com account to get them.
Need a break from cooking? Major restaurant chains, including Corner Bakery Cafe, Outback Streakhouse, Bubba Gump Shrimp, and McCormick & Schmick’s, offer a 10% discount off your meals and nonalcoholic beverages when you present your AARP membership card with your check. Other chains like these offer specific 2023 senior discounts:
- El Pollo Loco. Offers a 10% discount (maximum value of $1) to guests 60 years of age or older.
- Denny’s. Their 55+ Menu lowers the price on select items. Available every day.
- IHOP. Their 55+ Menu Lowers the price on select items, and some portions may be smaller. Available every day.
Entertainment & Leisure
When budgets are tight, people often forgo the activities they love. But there’s no reason to skip that hot new movie that’s getting all the buzz.
Theaters and movies
Theater chains like AMC Theaters and Cinemark offer specific senior discounts. Landmark offers Discount Tuesdays. Since discounts can often vary by theater, be sure to check your theater’s website for more details.
Live Music and Comedy Concerts
Check out Ticketmaster’s senior discounts on events through AARP.
If you’re into wide open spaces and communing with nature, our National Parks program offers the America the Beautiful Senior Pass. You can either purchase a $20 annual pass or an $80 lifetime pass, which gives you admission to more than 2,000 recreational sites across the country.
Most Medicare Advantage plans offer free gym benefits through programs like Silver&Fit or SilverSneakers, which provide access to tens of thousands of gym facilities nationwide. You may also be eligible to get discounts on other health services, including nutrition, physical therapy, and more. Already a gym member? Check to see if your facility sponsors these programs, and if not, ask what discounts they do provide.
Now that you have the time to explore the world, don’t let your finances hold you back. Many hotels, resorts, car rental companies, and other modes of transportation offer great discounts. Some offer straight savings, discounts through AARP, or feature loyalty programs you can take advantage of. Age eligibility can vary and restrictions apply. These companies include:
- Car rentals. Avis, Budget, and Hertz
- Hotels. Best Western, Marriott, and Wyndham
- Cruise lines. Carnival, Celebrity, and Royal Caribbean
- Airlines. British Airways, Delta, and United
- Rail. Amtrack
Cellular and Internet Service
Quite a few companies offer incentives and discounts for seniors or savings through AARP. These include:
Some restrictions apply, so check out their websites or call to discuss what savings you can tap into.
Nothing can put a dent in your budget faster than a costly car repair or service. Chains like Jiffy Lube offer a 15% discount for customers 65 and over. Other service providers like Valvoline and Midas regularly post promotions and discount coupons on their websites. Don’t be shy about asking your local mechanic if he also offers any savings.
This article is intended for general informational and educational purposes only, and should not be construed as financial or tax advice. For more information about whether a reverse mortgage may be right for you, you should consult an independent financial advisor. For tax advice, please consult a tax professional.